Wednesday, January 28, 2009

25 random things about me

Having gotten tagged with this, please find my list of 25 things below:

  1. I love to compete. At almost anything. Cards, sports, trivia. I don’t have to win, I just like the feeling of being in the battle. I appreciate being defeated by a worthy opponent – but I always want a rematch! I hate losing when that loss was based on (what I perceive as) luck.
  2. There is a big part of me that is glad I got bald enough to just shave my head down to stubble and not worry about it
  3. I put up a tough front to my girls in an attempt to teach them to listen and heed authority, but secretly, I love when they push back and plead their case.
  4. Frequently, I am overwhelmed by my feelings of gratitude for those who teach, serve in the military, work for worthy causes and in the name of public safety (Police, Fire)
  5. People love to tease/pick on me. I love it. I am very difficult to offend. People who never have met me often start in on me within seconds.
  6. I am not nostalgic about events and places at all. For example, my childhood home is currently in shambles and I couldn’t care (my parents don’t live there anymore).
  7. I think that is the same trait that prevents me from being angry about anything for more than 20 minutes.
  8. It took me too long to recognize the value of the relationships I have been blessed with in my life – all of them. I do now.
  9. I love being the father of girls. My girls riotous laughter can fuel me for days.
  10. There is no greater skill I covet more than the ability to hold the rapt attention a large room with nothing but public speaking skills. Good comedians, politicians, storytellers who can do it are a marvel to me. I am working on that skill in some way every day.
  11. Ways to make me crazy: make me wait without knowing when the waiting will end, ask me to sit still, have me in the passenger seat while the driver is driving without confidence.
  12. I am an information junkie. I read well over 100 blogs and RSS feeds. Google Reader says that I consumed over 26 thousand articles in the last 30 days. Yes, I skim a lot of them, but it’s hard to scoop me on a story.
  13. Cooking has gone from being purely functional to one of my favorite things. I am king of the cook top. My oven is rarely used. I am now experimenting with doing foams. If you have time, ask me about my signature dishes which include: Swordfish a la John, Chicken Di-John, etc.
  14. I normally have the attention span of a guppy, but can truly focus to listen to a friend in need.
  15. Two years ago, I started using the GTD personal productivity system. It has dramatically increased my efficiency. If something gets into my task list, it will get done.
  16. I can’t watch a show/movie where a very awkward encounter is predictably coming. (Meet the Parents made me nauseous with anxiety)
  17. I am always singing a song in my head. Always. Even as I am talking to you. Right now it is “When the Levee Breaks”.
  18. I tell people that I asked my wife to marry me at 21 years old and after only 11 weeks of dating because I needed to “lock her into a commitment because she was out of my league”. Most people think I am trying to be funny. I am not. I felt that way then and still do now. She is amazing. Best. Decision. Ever.
  19. I often forget that I am severely color-blind. I will go on about colors as if I know what they are – and I really think I do know. I don’t. To prevent more frequent clothing color-horrors, I have learned to wear mostly blue. Blue pretty much always goes with blue. This did briefly earn me the unfortunate nickname of ‘Grover’ in college. Thankfully, it didn’t stick.
  20. Every major injury I have had (there have been a few) has been related to ice and snow. As soon as is logistically feasible, I am wintering where there will be no more.
  21. I have been doing Hot Yoga for just over one year. It has been one of the best, most healthy things mentally and physically I have ever done. I want to find a way to do it more.
  22. I have way more close relationships with women than with men. I have very little idea why that is true.
  23. I love to listen to music, from any era – 60s to today. I remember lyrics and the minute musical intricacies of thousands of songs. I would trade that in a second for the ability to remember the names of people I met yesterday.
  24. Far and away, my best thinking comes when I am talking things out with another person serving as a foil.
  25. There is no greater time for me than curling up with some red wine, a fire and doing nothing else but talk with Elia.
Wow... This looks longer than I intended to write. Sorry folks.

No comments: